The newest additions to our collection includes booklets about the history of a number of area churches. Many of these come from centennial celebrations in the 1980’s. In these written histories, you’ll find founding members, pastors who have served throughout the years and the numerous buildings that have been built for services.
Below are links to the documents, with a small bit of information taken from their pages.
- Plymouth Congregational UCC – Founded in 1890 with 27 charter members.
- First Presbyterian Church – Founded in 1881, its first pastor began organizing before the first train arrived in Aberdeen.
- First Presbyterian Church (Groton) – Founded in 1881, started as a Sunday School in the depot waiting room.
- St Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church (Groton) – Founded on March 5th, 1893. A section of its constitution denied membership to members of secret organizations.
- St Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church – Founded on January 5th 1888, service was held in the home of Herman Janecke for the first eleven years.
- St. John Lutheran Church (Warner) – Founded in 1882, its first church services were held in the public schoolhouse.
- Faith United Methodist Church – Founded in 1882, its first building was built in 1884 at a cost of $4000.
These histories contain a lot of good information, especially about life and struggles in the 1880’s and 1890’s. I encourage you to read more about each of them.
I’d like to thank the Aberdeen/Brown County Landmarks Commission for these valuable pieces. If you have any historical documents that you would like to share (photos, written histories), please let us know in the comments or via this page.