Aberdeen’s first shopping center, the Super City Mall. These images compare 1969 to 2014. Multiple exterior changes to the building have occurred over the years.
Fire Station No. 2, located on North Main Street, had enough room for two fire engines, and quarters for firemen. It was recently decommissioned when a new station was built on the corner of 8th Ave N and the Highway 281 bypass.
Formerly the 23 Club (or Club 23) bar on the corner of 2nd Avenue and Lincoln Street, the inside of which can be seen in this picture. A Home Federal bank was built in the place of the two foreground buildings, hence the drive-thru where the bar once was. In the background, you can see the Brown County Courthouse, and the Herman Hotel building.
An early Aberdeen hardware store, or the Wells Block building, compared to today. The main floor has been changed to modernize the look and add a different entrance to the corner (right side of photo). Most recently, it was occupied by Natural Abundance store.
These pictures show a couple additions to the church building, along with a hint of the original Alexander Mitchell Library on the far left of the older picture.
On the corner of Lincoln Street and 5th Avenue, these photos show where the Lincoln Hospital (building on left) was located before being moved to its current location as part of Avera St. Luke’s Hospital. Built in 1920, the building on the right was known as the Murdy Clinic. Today, the Murdy Clinic building contains apartments.
Constructed in 1938, the Aberdeen Civic Arena has not changed much in outside appearance. Inside, it can seat 3,200, and is used for basketball, volleyball and wrestling, as well as special events and concerts.
The Northwestern Public Service building, on the corner of Main Street and 4th Avenue. Today a single story building (built in 1967) occupies the corner, currently housing Brown County Community Health Center.
The J.C. Penney store, in 1925, was one of the first chain stores in Aberdeen. At one time was known as Feinstein’s clothing store, but it has also housed New Trends, and most recently, Revive Day Spa.
This version of the Sherman Hotel was built in 1908 and was a major landmark on Main Street until the late 1960’s. In 1980, the Sherman Apartments were built in the same location.
You can drag the bar or click the links above to compare the past to the present.